Services of Sudbury Landfill
Please note we changed to Winter Hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. effective November 1 through February 28, 2019.
We manage different types of waste at the landfill and have customized areas of service to address the different wastes.
Sudbury Landfill accepts cash, checks, VISA, MasterCard, and Discover.
- Regular solid waste generated by households and businesses
- Properly bagged medical waste and asbestos
- Deceased animals
- Inert waste such as concrete and asphalt
- Televisions and computers
- Refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners
- Clean green/yard waste (separated from regular waste)
- Household Hazardous Waste (from residential sources only)
We Do Not Accept
- Sewage sludge
- Contaminated soil
- Hazardous/dangerous wastes
Safety Is Our Focus
Safety is imperative to the operations of the landfill. There are private vehicles, commercial haulers, and heavy equipment present that customers need to be aware of at all times. Please use precaution when unloading your vehicle and follow directions given by landfill staff. When visiting us, please observe the following safety measures:
- Pay attention to posted speed limit signs and other informational signs.
- Smoking is not allowed outside of your vehicle; do not discard butts anywhere outside of your vehicle.
- Secure your load before hitting the road - flying debris is dangerous to other motorists.
- Children and pets are welcome but must remain in the vehicle at all times.
- Wear appropriate clothing - sandals and shorts are not recommended as they do not provide adequate protection for the materials you may encounter at the landfill.
- Scavenging is prohibited - this includes, but is not limited to: removing any item put into the landfill, removing any item from the recycling drop off, removing items from the HHW facility that are not on the exchange table, and removing any item that is the property of or part of the Sudbury Regional Landfill.
Recycling Drop Off
A drop box for recyclable items is located prior to crossing the scale. Items are accepted free of charge. Here is a list of items you can recycle.
The Sudbury Compost Facility accepts clean green/yard waste at a reduced tip fee from regular waste and processes it into compost for sale to the public. The facility also accepts all of the leaves that are picked up from the annual leaf collection program. Keeping organic waste out of the landfill saves space and reduces the production of methane from decomposing organic waste.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
The HHW Facility located at the Sudbury Landfill provides safe disposal of potentially harmful products commonly found in homes. Most items are accepted free of charge for residents of Walla Walla County. The cost of disposal is covered by a portion of the tip fee charged on solid waste and by a grant from the Department of Ecology.
Solid Waste Planning & Outreach
On behalf of Walla Walla County, the City of Walla Walla is the lead agency for the Walla Walla County Solid Waste Management Plan development and implementation. Under an interlocal agreement, the City provides outreach and education on topics such as waste reduction, recycling, composting, household hazardous waste, pollution prevention, and solid waste code enforcement. Landfill staff members also coordinate the Walla Walla County Solid Waste Advisory Committee (SWAC) meetings. The SWAC is a county-appointed committee comprised of various stakeholders to identify waste management needs and programming for all of Walla Walla County.