The Walla Walla Police Department Records Section operates and maintains a wide variety of law enforcement records and reports, utilizing the New World Systems Record Management Program. This section enters:
- Electronic Data
- Verifies data on police reports
- Processes concealed pistol licenses, bicycle licenses, and firearms dealer's licenses and
- Manages requests for public disclosure pursuant to the laws of the State of Washington
Records also prepare a variety of management reports that provide statistical analysis of calls for service and allow for continual monitoring of management data to direct services to where they are most critically needed to meet the needs of our community.
Public Records which are not specifically protected by state statute are available for disclosure, pursuant to RCW 42.56, the Public Records Act. However, it is important to recognize that there are several exemptions which may prohibit or restrict the release of law enforcement records. These are defined as follows:
- The complainant, victim or witness specifically requested the information not be disclosed. RCW 42.56.240(2)
- Disclosure of the information would endanger a person's life, physical safety or property. RCW 42.56.240(2)
- The Record includes information, the non-disclosure of which is essential to effective law enforcement. RCW 42.56.240(1)
- The Record contains information, the non-disclosure of which is necessary for the protection of the person's right to privacy. RCW 42.56.240(1) as defined by RCW 42.56.050.
- The Record contains information concerning a juvenile, which is confidential, and may not be released to the public except by court order under provisions of RCW 13.50.050 and RCW 13.50.100(4)(a) and (b). Also see child victims of sexual assaults, identification confidential. RCW 10.97.130; and RCW 42.56.240(5)
- Investigative files currently active with the Prosecutor's Office, and nondisclosure is essential to effective law enforcement. RCW 42.56.240(1)
- Information protected under the Criminal Records Privacy Act. RCW 10.97
- The Record contains attorney/client information, protected under RCW 5.60.060(2)
- The Record contains official confidential information, protected under RCW 5.60.060(5)
- Booking photos are protected under RCW 70.48.100.
- The Record contains medical information protected under RCW 70.02.005
- Driver's or vehicle registration is protected under RCW 46.12.380
- Traffic accidents reports have some protection under RCW 46.12.380
- Reports and records of autopsies and postmortem examinations are confidential, and are protected under RCW 68.50.105