The Crime Free Rental Housing program is a partnership between the Walla Walla Police Department, local landlords, and tenants working together to foster a safer and healthier community in rental housing.
The Walla Walla Police Department provides Landlord/Tenant training to help landlords and tenants understand rental issues. This 12-hour training course is held over 4 evenings. Topics include:
- Rental agreements
- Tenant screening
- Eviction process
- Landlord/Tenant Law
- Identifying and reporting illegal activity
- Warning signs of drug and gang activity
- Fire safety and arson prevention
- Property security and safety
Crime Free Property Management Seminar
The Crime Free Property Management Seminar will be held fall 2019 in the Fulton Community Room, Walla Walla Police Department, 54 E. Moore St.
Participants who attend all 4 nights receive certificates and Realtor® credits.
Questions? Email Vicki Ruley at email@example.com or call her at (509) 524-4409.
Tips for Active Management
This program is based on a very successful program called Crime Free Multi-Housing, which has been directly attributed with decreasing crime at rental properties in hundreds of cities throughout the country. Through education and support, the Crime Free Rental Housing Program addresses rental based illegal activities and special needs with the goal of reducing calls for police service and creating a safer and more stable living environment for residents.
Illegal activity on or around rental property can have a substantial negative impact to the landlord and to the surrounding neighborhood, including:
- Decline in property values - particularly when the activity begins affecting the reputation of the neighborhood
- Increased property damage - arising from abuse, retaliation or neglect
- Loss of rent - from good tenants moving out
- Fear and frustration - in dealing with dangerous tenants
- Toxic contamination from drug labs - which could result in condemnation of the property
- Resentment and anger between neighbors and property managers
Interested rental property owners and managers, tenants, real estate agents, security personnel, maintenance personnel, insurance agents, mortgage holders, and others are invited to attend. Future dates TBD.