Proper Disposal of Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)
Fats, oils, and grease, as well as "flushable" wipes, towelettes, and rags are the major cause of blockages of the sewer systems which can lead to sanitary sewer overflows. Food and grease should never go down the drain because they build up further down the sewer line causing serious damage. Only water should go down the drain; food, grease, and wipes should not. Blockages can cause serious damage and be a health threat.
Here are some simple steps you can take to keep FOG out of the sewer system:
- Recycle cooking grease, oil and food wastes.
- Freeze your grease – pour grease into a jar, let it cool, seal it, freeze it, and throw it into the trash.
- Never dump used cooking oil down the drain.
- Scrape and dry wipe pots, pans, and dishes before washing. Take a paper towel and wipe the pan then discard the towel and food waste into the trash receptacle. You can also use coffee grounds to soak up oils and place them into your trash receptacle.
- Dispose of rags, wipes (both flushable and non-flushable), razor blades, toilet deodorants, dental floss, and other non-biodegradable products into the trash.
- Never use hot water, detergents or degreasers to flush FOG down the drain; this pushes grease into the pipe where it will cool, congeal and clog the sewer.
- Never dump FOG (or anything) on the street, parking lot or into storm drains as it will end up in our creeks.
- Communicate with your friends and neighbors about the problem of grease and other products in your sewer system and how to keep them out. The solution starts right in your home with your actions.
- Best Management Practices for Fats, Oils, and Grease
- FOG Brochure (English) (Spanish)
- FOG Blob Brochure
- FOG Poster Kitchen Best Management Practices (English) (Spanish)
- Company Directory of Services (pumpers, recyclers, etc.)
- FOG Pretreatment Device Maintenance Log
This photo of the inside of a sewer pipe in Walla Walla shows what FOG buildup looks like. FOG reduces the diameter of the sewer pipe and can create blockages.