What Day is My Garbage Collected and How Do I Sign Up for Service?
To find your collection day you can use our interactive Garbage and Recycling Map or call our Sanitation Customer Service desk at 509.527.4479, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m..
Residential Garbage Collection
The Sanitation Division services nearly 9,500 residential containers every week. We strive to provide exceptional service and appreciate your assistance by following these guidelines for collection service:
Residential Collection Guidelines
- Container must be at curb by 7:00 a.m.
- Container must be at least 3 feet from obstacles such as cars, utility poles, and other containers
- Do not place containers directly under low-hanging items such as branches, utility lines, or basketball hoop stands.
- Container must be placed with the lid opening toward street
- Do not place additional items on the ground beside your container
- Do not wedge items in the container or it may not empty properly
- Overfilled container will be charged an additional fee if lid is open more than 45 degrees or container is too heavy
- Bag small, loose items (such as Styrofoam peanuts) to keep material from blowing away when can is emptied
- Do not place household hazardous waste (HHW) items in your container; take to Sudbury
- Landfill Household Hazardous Waste Facility for FREE disposal; available to residents of Walla Walla County only, no business waste accepted
- Customers unable to take their container to the curb can sign up for carry-out service for an additional charge. Contact us for details.
Residential Curbside Recycling
Residential recycling collection is provided by Basin Disposal Inc. under contract with the City. Recycling is collected the same day as your garbage, but on an every other week schedule. Guidelines and More Info
Residential Green Waste Collection Service
We offer a subscription-based weekly green (yard) waste collection service from March 1 through November 30 each year. The container is picked up the same day as your regular garbage and taken to the compost facility for processing. Residents in annexed areas can subscribe to green waste collection service with Basin Disposal, Inc. at 509.547.2476.
View the current rate for this service. The rate is charged only for the 9 months of the year the program operates. Green Waste subscribers can keep their current 90 gallon garbage container or downsize to a 64 gallon container for a reduced rate. Please contact our Customer Service to sign up.
Green waste collection guidelines:
- Container must be at curb by 7:00 a.m.
- Container must be at least 3 feet from obstacles including other containers.
- Container must be placed with the lid opening toward street.
- Do not overfill; lid must close.
- Do not place additional items on the ground beside your container.
- Do not wedge branches in the container or it may not empty properly.
- No plastics, landscape fabric, or other garbage.
- No dirt, rock, or sod.
- No pet waste.
- No food waste.
- No diseased plants or vegetation.
- No branches larger than 4" in diameter and/or 3' in length.
Commercial Collection Services
Businesses and multi-family residences larger than 10 units are serviced as commercial accounts. We offer a variety of container sizes and pick up frequencies to fit your needs. Contact our Customer Service office to discuss a program to meet your waste removal needs.
Recycling collection for businesses and multi-family residences larger than 10 units is a subscription-based service offered by Basin Disposal Inc. Please call BDI directly at 509.547.2476 to set up this service.
A subscription-based service is offered to hospitals, medical offices and clinics, dental offices, and other producers of medical waste.
Drop Box Services
We offer a variety of sizes of drop box containers for temporary rental at your home or business. Please contact our Customer Service office to discuss your needs and cost of containers.
Did you know that a portion of your monthly garbage rate goes to help provide leaf collection each fall? In coordination with the Streets Division, we provide collection of the leaves on residential streets that thousands of residents place out each year. We also offer two drop-off sites for residents to use for leaf disposal in conjunction with the street pick up program. We collect approximately three million pounds of leaves each year that are taken to the Sudbury Landfill Compost Facility for processing.
Downtown Public Trash and Recycling Collection
In support of keeping our downtown area clean, safe, and attractive for the enjoyment of locals and tourists alike, we sponsor weekly collection of the trash and recycling from the public receptacles along the streets of our award-winning downtown. The service is currently contracted for with the work crew of the Walla Walla County Juvenile Justice Center.