City of Walla Walla

Switch to desktop


Risk Management

How to File a Claim

To file a claim for damages with the City of Walla Walla, please review the claim process and complete a Claim for Damages form.

Completed forms should be returned to:


Mail:  City of Walla Walla
Support Services
15 North Third Avenue
Walla Walla, Washington 99362

Phone:    Fax:  

The length of the claim for damages investigation varies depending on the complexity of the issues and availability of evidence to support the claim. All relevant information and documents should be provided for consideration.

Claim for Damages Form

Click on the document below to learn more about clean up of a sewer backup and the claim process.

Sewer Backup Booklet 2015-03-20 Page 1

The City of Walla Walla is a wonderful place to live, work and play!


Learn more





Special Event and Liquor Permits

Special Events

Public and private gatherings that use public spaces or streets may require an event permit. The permit application form needs to be in the Parks and Recreation office 45 days prior to the event.

Applications must include:

  • A special event fee
  • Insurance listing the City as additional insured
  • Certified flaggers if the event crosses intersections
  • State banquet permit if the event involves alcohol sales or consumption
  • Maps showing routes if event is a race
  • Recycling plan for trash

Arrange for street barricades by contacting the Street Division.

Download a Special Event Permit Application

Download a Special Event Guideline packet


Alcohol consumption is not allowed in Walla Walla parks with three exceptions

To consume alcoholic beverages at Ft. Walla Walla Park, Pioneer Park Garden Center or The Center at the Park you must:

  1. Reserve the facility;
  2. Fill out a Liquor permit with Parks and Recreation, you must come to our office at 55 Moore St. and pay the $10 fee for the permission to have alcohol at a City facility(only those listed above).;
  3. Obtain a Liquor/Banquet Permit online from the Washington State Liquor Control Board

You MUST complete all three of these to consume alcohol on the City properties listed above!

Street trees

Street trees have special status in the city and cannot be planted, pruned, or removed without a permit. A street tree is defined as any tree planted on public right-of-way – usually in the strip of grass between the sidewalk and curb. When there is no curb or sidewalk, street tree classification is determined by the boundary between the street right-of-way and the private property line. Call the Parks & Recreation office at  for permission and a permit prior to beginning any work on a street tree.

We want to make sure you do street tree work safely and correctly while keeping our tree inventory up to date. 

You need a permit before planting a tree in order to ensure you are planting the correct species. You can avoid many sidewalk damage, tree health, and utility line problems by following the “right tree, right place” philosophy. Homeowners planting trees can also receive a guide to proper tree care.

You can download and print the permit form below, then fill it out and send it to the Parks and Recreation Department. We will inspect your proposed planting site or tree work, and the Municipal Arborist will contact you.

Tree Permit Procedures Form with Licensed Tree Care Specialists.pdf

Tree Permit Form.pdf

Tree Classes I - IV


Tree and planting strip finder

Type in an address in the map search box and hit enter to zoom to your area of interest. Click on the green tree dots or planting strips for detailed information.


  • CLASS I – SMALL TREES Heights up to 25’, for planting strips 3’ to 5’ wide.
  • CLASS II – MEDIUM TREES Heights from 25’ - 50’, for planting strips 5’ to 8’ wide without overhead power lines.
  • CLASS III – LARGE TREES Heights from 50’ - 70’, for planting strips 8’ to 15’ wide.
  • CLASS IV – VERY LARGE TREES Heights from 70’ or more ,for planting strips 15’ wide or more without overhead power lines.

DISCLAIMER: The City of Walla Walla does not warrant, guarantee or accept any liability for the accuracy, precision or completeness of any information shown or described heron or for any inferences made therefrom. Any use made of this information is solely at the risk of the user.

View Larger Map (in a new window/tab)


The City of Walla Walla takes great pride in our community trees – whether on public land or private property. In order to properly manage the City’s urban forest, the City created the Urban Forest Management Plan to do the following:

  • Educate the public on the value and proper care of trees.
  • Encourage planting on public and private property
  • Involve the public in major decisions through the Parks, Recreation and Urban Forestry Advisory Board
  • Report on forestry activities regularly.

Download information on the city’s tree code and Urban Forest Management Plan



City of Walla Walla, 15 North 3rd Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362
Business Hours:  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

To report an issue with the website, please click here.

Top Desktop version